Friday, February 4, 2011

Deja Vu

About twenty years ago I listened to some neighbors talk about nutrition and decided to try a diet that eliminated cow's milk. I can't remember feeling much better, and it was hard to cook for everyone. To top it off I had cavities for the first time. I gave up on that adventure and have been drinking lots of cow's milk since then. During this past year Sabrina decided to eliminate cow's milk in her family's diet after lots of research and trying to deal with stomach issues. This made me nervous, and of course I voiced my concern. However, lately I've spent quite a bit of time with their family and have paid attention to the various items they consume as Sabrina makes sure they all have adequate nutrition. I marvel at all the information she has learned and the steps she takes to keep her family healthy. This week I went to the doctor about my own stomach issues which have gotten so bad that pain immobilizes me for up to an hour at a time. Tests were taken to make sure I didn't have something going on, and then my doctor asked if I consumed a lot of dairy. She told me that allergies to lactose can cause the symptoms I was describing, and that as people age (oh not that dreaded phrase again) their bodies have a more difficult time with lactose. So now I'm going to be using Sabrina's knowledge for my own diet. I'm glad there are more products and resources available now. I certainly don't want to get more cavities for Trent to fill!

2 comments:

  1. Sabrina really has done her homework on this one. I'm so glad she can help you go off dairy!

    ReplyDelete